IHES is an international research institute in mathematics, theoretical physics and all related sciences, located just outside Paris, in Bures-sur-Yvette.
It was founded in 1958 as a private research center and became a foundation in the public interest in 1981.
Its activities revolve around a small group of very renowned permanent professors.
Every year the IHES scientific council selects about 200 researchers from across the world to spend an average of two months at IHES. Here, they can benefit from its unique working conditions: the opportunity to carry out curiosity-driven research, in collaboration with some of the greatest experts in their domains, free from any administrative or teaching duties.
Early-career researchers can collaborate with the permanent professors of IHES by applying to one of its several postdoctoral programs, and spend an average of two years at the Institute working on their topics of interest. Applications are considered by the scientific council in December and successful candidates are expected to join IHES in the fall of the following year.
International conferences and summer schools
Every year IHES hosts conferences and a summer school in mathematics or theoretical physics, which are open to all researchers interested in these topics.
“Cours de l’IHES”
Since 2013 IHES has been hosting a series of lectures presenting recent and important scientific results in various fields of mathematics and theoretical physics.
The lectures are given by permanent and long-term researchers at IHES, or by international experts in the subjects.
- Founded in 1958
- Located in Bures-sur-Yvette, south of Paris, France
- An international research center in mathematics and theoretical physics revolving around a small group of permanent professors who are among the greatest experts in their domains
- Hosts the Alexander Grothendieck Laboratory, a joint research unit in partnership with the CNRS
- A founding member of Paris-Saclay University, IHES is part of the Centre d’Accueil et de Rencontres Mathématiques INternationales (CARMIN, Laboratory of Excellence) together with CIMPA, CIRM, and IHP. It is involved in the development of carmin.tv, a platform of audiovisual resources dedicated to the dissemination of mathematical research and mathematics in interaction with other sciences, to be launched at the end of 2021.
- 200 visiting researchers come to IHES on average every year to benefit from its unique working conditions
- 5 international conferences and 1 international summer school are hosted every year
- 6 « Cours de l’IHES » are organized on average each year. These are series of lectures given by the Institute’s permanent professors or by invited eminent scientists.
- 1 international journal of mathematics, the Publications mathématiques de l’IHES
- 6 postdoctoral programs led by the permanent professors of IHES