MILYON is a LabEx (Laboratoire d’Excellence), a center of Excellence, carried forward
by the researchers in the fields of mathematics and theoretical computer science of
the University of Lyon in the region of Lyon/Saint-Etienne, since 2011.
MILYON is one of the projects of Excellence that was awarded a LabEx grant (Laboratoire
d’Excellence) by the French National Agency for Research (ANR), as part of the program
“Investments for the Future” (Investissements d’Avenir) after a first call for proposals in 2010.
MILYON is one of the twelve LabEx awarded to the University of Lyon.
Located in the heart of the second scientific hub of France, MILYON federates several
internationally recognized research units with the aim to establish Lyon/Saint-Etienne as
one of the leading European research and higher education centers for mathematics and
computer science. By doing so, MILYON participates in the development strategy of the
University of Lyon and its partner institutions.
MILYON contributes with innovative research on current key topics in mathematics and
computer science as well as topics at their interfaces with other disciplines, in particular
theoretical physics, medicine, biology, imaging…
MILYON meets the challenges of scientific research and higher education and intends to
contribute to tomorrow’s society and economy, in particular through knowledge translation to industry and society.
A comprehensive and effective program of activities
MILYON initiates activities in each of its three areas of interest, research, education and outreach, by funding:
- International scientific events
- Invitations to researchers
- PhD students and Postdocs
- Scholarships for students: last year of Bachelor’s degree (Licence 3) and Master’s degree
- The House of Mathematics and Computer Science (Maison des Mathématiques et de l’informatique) in Lyon, as well as a large and diverse series of events targeted to a general audience.
A pluridisciplinary network of 450 researchers in 21 research teams
MILYON federates 5 research units (UMR):
- Institut Camille Jordan (ICJ)
- Laboratoire de l’Informatique du Parallélisme (LIP)
- Unité de mathématiques pures et appliquées (UMPA)
- Laboratoire de physique de l’ENS de Lyon (LabPhys)
- Laboratoire Hubert Curien (LabHC)
MILYON’s five research units are affiliated with 8 partner institutions, all members of a
COMUE (COMmunauté d’Universités et Etablissements), University of Lyon, a French
federal structure for universities:
- University Claude Bernard Lyon 1
- University Jean Monnet de St-Etienne
- École Centrale de Lyon
- École Normale Supérieure de Lyon
- INSA de Lyon